英語 Speaking 1
Time: 2:50 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.
Room number: A606
【 Textbooks 】
No text. Jason will provide materials.
【 Evaluation Criteria and Method 】
Grades are decided based on the following criteria:
- Class participation: attendance, being active, attitude: 10%
- Speaking test 1: 20%
- Speaking test 2: 20%
- Speaking test 3: 20%
- Weekly vocabulary tests: 10%
- Final vocabulary test: 10%
- Homework and other assignments: 10%
【 Absences and Late Arrivals 】
- 6 or more absences = no credit.
- Late policy:
If you are late by 15 minutes or more = absent
If you are late to class, I will add the time to your late record.
Each time your late record reaches 15 minutes, you have 1 more absence.
Example: Day 1: Late 6 minutes, Day 2: Late 3 minutes, Day 3: Late 7
minutes. Total = 16 minutes. So, it’s 1 absent and 1 minute.
- If you have a school-approved absence form, your absence will be forgiven. In issues of difficult sickness or other really unavoidable circumstances, talk to me.
- Sleeping, using a cell phone (without my permission), or otherwise not participating in class will be counted as an absence..
【 English Challenges 】
- You can get up to 10% extra credit from these challenges.
- 1 challenge point = 1%.
- Challenge points can come from the list below. You can do these from today until 1 day before the last class.
- 1 point: Make a 1-minute video where you talk alone using the language from class that week (means after class on Monday until class begins on the next Monday)
- 1 point: Make a recording (voice or video are both ok) of you singing an English karaoke song.
- 1 point: Have lunch with Jason and speak English as much as you can
- 2 points each: Make a 2-minute video where you have a conversation with one other Japanese person using the language from the class that week.
- 4 points: Make a recording (voice or video are both ok) of you speaking with a foreigner for 30 seconds (please see the list of manners for this). Any topic is OK!
- ?? points: YOUR IDEA! If you have an idea, tell me. If it is nice, we can decide how many points to give.
- Video homework rules and notes
- You cannot look at a script or any paper while doing a video.
- You have to speak fluently. That means you should try for 60 or more words a minute. It is OK if your English is not perfect and you make mistakes! However, you must show that you understand the target language.
- You can see an example video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwHj1XyXqxg
- You cannot make the videos during class time. They must be made outside of class times. You cannot make them at lunch with Jason, either.
- If you choose the karaoke activity and make an audio recording, you have to prove to me it is you. Maybe you can say something before singing.
- Video files and audio files must be sent to me. It is ok to e-mail them if they are small, but it is better to upload them to a web site like dropbox or Youtube (you can make it a private video and send me the link).
- You must show me your point sheet when it is all finished or on the last day of class.
- If you lose your point sheet, you may lose all of your points.
VOCABULARY FOR STUDY
April 19th: speaking-1-vocab-4.26
April 12th, 2021
April 19th, 2021
Meeting someone new
April 26th, 2021
Meeting someone new: complimenting
May 10th, 2021
Meeting someone new: small talk
May 17th, 2021
Speaking test (Meeting someone new)
May 24th, 2021
Introducing ourselves (favorites)
May 31st, 2021
Introducing ourselves: habits
June 7th, 2021
Introducing ourselves: habits
June 14th, 2021
Speaking test 2 (Introducing ourselves)
June 21st, 2021
Making invitations: activities
June 28th, 2021
Making invitations: days and times
July 5th, 2021
Making invitations: inviting
July 12th, 2021
Speaking test (making invitations)
July 19th, 2021
Vocabulary review test and special lesson
July 26th, 2021